Sean Graham's Animation Mental Blog

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Mechanics of a Golf Swing...

Last semester, I got a bug in my britches about trying a golf swing animation, but folks thought that, as a 4-emotion test, some of my other ideas had more potential. Well, this semester, I get a chance to do that golf swing! So I planned 'er out, did a whole bunch of video reference of myself getting out there and trying it (which I'll post soon, it's on the other conputer) and blocked out my first attempt at the golf swing shot! And it's not very impressive. But it's a start!

I am, however, starting to regret my use of IK (Inverse Kinematic) arms as a primary animation tool, as getting every thing to work properly is a hellish mess when it comes to arms, because I'm essentially reverse-animating the natural progression of arm movement. With IK arms, the arm position is dictated by the position of the upper and lower arm as they relate to the hand. Not as they relate to each other and the shoulder (which is called FK, or Forward Kinematic arms). IK arms can be thought of as like the muppets. You know how on Kermit, there are sticks attached to his hands? C'mon, I know you're not supposed to acknowledge that they are there, but we've all seen 'em. Well, what happens when you move the stick? The hand moves, and the arm, jointed in the middle at the elbow and connected to the shoulder, moves based on where that hand goes. That's inverse kinematics. Forward kinematics is like G.I. Joe arms. There's a stiff joint at the shoulder, elbow, and wrist. The position of the parts is relative to what you've done to move each section around. You move the shoulder, the whole arm will move too. You move the lower arm, the hand will move there too. The hand does not dictate the position of the arm, unless, of course, you grab the hand and force the arm into a position, but it's difficult to do that, because it's not designed for that. However, that would be a way of attempting to make that FK joint system IK. A really good use of IK arms, if when the hand DOES dictate the position of the arm, like when a character is hanging from his hands, or is resting his hand against a wall, or in some way is acted upon by an outside force. Whew. Anyway, my arms on this guy are IK. I won't discover the folly of my ways 'til the next project.

Click on the image to see the first blocking...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home