Sean Graham's Animation Mental Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Walking with character.

What a comeback! Last week was a real terrible week for me, the work was subpar, the time I had was minimal and just over all, I felt like I was getting behind on the learning curve adn started questioning whether this animation thing was really for me.

I've found that happens from time to time, but when the next week rolls around, I find a new energy and drive to do better. And what, after all, is this all about if not to improve each week? Add to that, that this week was "character walk" week, giving some unique walk qualities to the character and really animate. It's the first time we've had a chance to do this, so I was excited and scared all at the same time.

Something you learn early in art school, any art school, any art, is that you HAVE to put your work out there, and so essentially, you have to put yourself out there for the world to criticize and you have to even take it a step further and allow yourself to accept that criticizm with deliberate and openminded attention. That's hard. But that's a whole discussion in and of itself.

However, it is the root of why it's scarey to start to really do this stuff. there's an investment, I want to be good, I don't want to look stupid or untalented or whatever. It's why as Sara says, I go way overboard, that I'm a perfectionist. I don't know about that, but I do know what looks good to me, and what doesn't, so if I see something that doesn't look good in my work, it bothers me, and I have to correct it before someone else sees it and thinks I didn't.

So, that was my week. Oh, and a new pose. This time, it's exhausted. In the next post, I'll elaborate and have the results with links, promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home