Sean Graham's Animation Mental Blog

Monday, July 04, 2005

Week 2 Submission

Additional Note:
Ok, so I had my crit with Warren, and I was really happy to hear I didn't totally blow this assignment out my backside. Truth be told, he seemed to enjoy it, and had some small tweaks, but overall, he seemed happy with it! Yay for me! There were tweaks, as I mentioned:
  1. He liked the structure elements under the sketches, I should keep do that as much as possible.
  2. Liked that I added the silouette as well as the original sketch.
  3. He thought the back shoulder could have been pushed up a little more
  4. He thought the forward arm and leg made a similar shape, and it didn't look as interesting. I might be able to open up that negative space more by opening up the forward arm, straightening a little and pushing it up slightly.
  5. Noticed the back arm has a bend and my arm doesnot show abend, I might be able to increase the feeling of tension by adding more of a backward bend, just a little.
  6. Conclusion: Always push the pose to make interesting, consider negative space and what shapes they're making graphically.
So, with the sketches behind me and the Stu model played with, I set to posing my assignment for the week. The idea was to take a pose from the sketches and use that as inspiration for posing Stu. Ok, sounds easy enough. But it wasn't. It so very much was not. The biggest problem was emotion and appeal. I'm sure that's the case quite a bit of the time, but it was really something I emphasized. I started out, actually, much like I sketch. Get the basics down, find the body lines, work from the core of the pose outward to the finer detail. That worked fine for this (a pose of an exaggerated throw) but I found that posing Stu to the exaggeration in the throw lost something. The exaggeration was lessened because, I think, even I expected more from Stu than from a human, who's limitations are many and clear and obvious. Stu's limitations are less so, and I expect him to communicate something with greater flair and clarity. I'd accept much less from a human. I ended up pushing the pose quite a bit, raising the leg more, twisting his body around to an extreme, throwing the ball arm way behind and above his head...it worked pretty well. Lesson learned: push poses as much as I can, almost to a point where it's way too much and then, maybe, it'll be enough.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home